Volunteer to provide direct legal services to unrepresented New Yorkers facing debt collection through the New York City courts through in-person clinics. Receive robust training, work directly with clients, and get one-on-one support from experienced attorneys. Described by volunteers as rewarding and uplifting, sign up to work hand-in-hand with New Yorkers needing legal help—whether you are a newly admitted attorney or an experienced litigator.
Track 2 Topics include:
- Motions to Dismiss
- Motions to Renew and Reargue
- Motions for Summary Judgment
- Legal Standard
- Procedural Requirements
- Common Issues and Problems In Consumer Credit Actions
- Counseling Clients
- Interactive Form
- Original Creditors vs. Debt Buyers
- Motions to Strike for Non-Compliance with Discovery
- Motion to Extend Time to Serve Summons and Complaint
- Appeals – Notice of Entry and Notice of Appeal
* Track 2 is required for all attorneys new to volunteering for CLARO, regardless of litigation experience. It is also recommended for former CLARO volunteer attorneys as a refresher.
CLE Credit will be available after volunteering with one or more of the CLARO programs throughout the city.
Boroughs Interested in Volunteering in (select all that are applicable):
- Staten Island
Johanna Ocaña, Fordham Law School, Feerick Center for Social Justice (she, her, hers); Marcella B. Silverman, Fordham Law School, Consumer Litigation Clinic [retired]; Matthew Schedler, CAMBA Legal Services Inc