New York County Lawyers Association Appellate Courts Committee Judicial Report Chief Judge Vacancy – New York Court of Appeals December 12, 2022
Executive Board, NYCLA Appellate Courts Committee
Mathew Bova, Co-Chair
Steven Benathen, Co-Chair
Scott H. Henney
This report was drafted by the Appellate Courts Committee of the New York County Lawyers Association (“NYCLA”) in order to provide interested members of the New York State bar with non-partisan and objective information regarding the seven candidates referred by the Commission on Judicial Nomination to Governor Kathy Hochul for appointment to the New York State Court of Appeals. Earlier this year, former Chief Judge Janet DiFiore resigned from the bench, leaving the Chief Judge position vacant. Governor Hochul will nominate one of the seven candidates referred by the Commission on Judicial Nomination to fill this vacancy.
Hon. Judge Anthony Cannataro
Professor Abbe R. Gluck
Hon. Justice Hector D. LaSalle
Hon. Justice Jeffrey Kakui Oing
Professor Alicia Ouellette
Hon. Justice Edwina G. RichardsonMendelson
Corey L. Stoughton, Esq.
The information in this report was collected by members of the Appellate Courts Committee (the “Committee”) using publicly available information. This was an entirely volunteer effort undertaken by the Committee for the benefit of the New York State bar.
The Committee collected seven categories of information:
1. The candidates’ current positions;
2. Basic background information, including colleges and law schools attended and academic accomplishments;
3. Published works and presentations;
4. Prior jobs and legal employment;
5. Signed opinions, including concurrences and dissents;
6. Cases argued before New York’s appellate courts; and
7. Cases argued before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals or the United States Supreme Court.