Faculty: Hon. Jed Rakoff, District Judge, SDNY
Program Chairs: James B. Kobak, Jr., Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP, Chair, NYCLA Justice Center; Hon. Joseph Kevin McKay (Ret.),Vice-Chair, NYCLA Justice Center; Lewis Tesser, Tesser, Ryan & Rochman LLP, Chair, The Plea Bargaining Task Force of the NYCLA Justice Center
Program Co-sponsors: NYCLA Justice Center and NYCLA’s Law and Literature Committee
Join us for a very special author event, as Judge Rakoff discusses his incisive, unsettling exploration of some of the paradoxes that define the judiciary today.
The book features essays examining why innocent people plead guilty, why high-level executives avoid prosecution, why you probably won’t get your day in court and why the judiciary is curtailing its own constitutionally mandated power.
Judge Rakoff, a leading authority on white collar crime, explores such questions as:
- How can we be proud of a system of justice that often pressures the innocent to plead guilty?
- How can we claim that justice is equal when we imprison thousands of poor Black men for relatively modest crimes but rarely prosecute rich white executives who commit crimes having far greater impact?
- How can we applaud the Supreme Court’s ever-more-limited view of its duty to combat excesses by the president?
Like few others, Rakoff understands the values that animate the best aspects of our legal system?and has a close-up view of our failure to live up to these ideals. But he sees within this gap great opportunities for practical reform, and a public mandate to make our justice system truly just.
To read more about the book click here: https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2014/11/20/why-innocent-people-plead-guilty/
To REGISTER FOR CLE CREDIT:
1. Purchase the Hard Copy or Kindle edition of the book by clicking here https://www.amazon.com/Why-Innocent-Plead-Guilty-Free/dp/0374289999 The book is the course materials for the Program.
2. Click "Register Myself," then Choose "CLE Registration" option.
3. Under Questions section, complete the Affirmation by checking "YES"
on "I Affirm That I Purchase the Book,” and clicking "Save Response."
4. Click on "Proceed to Checkout" to submit Payment information.
NYCLA Members with CLE Credit: $15
Non-Members with CLE Credit: $30
Non-Attorneys (No CLE): FREE
You must be signed in to register. If you do not have an account, you can create it for free.
For technical and account related issues, please contact us at email@example.com
After completing the checkout, you will receive a separate email
with webinar access instructions. That email will arrive closer to the
program start time. If you do not receive access email 1 hour prior to
the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We may not be able to
accommodate requests sent later than 30 minutes before the start of the